If you are thinking about installing an electric vehicle (EV) charging station at your home or office, this article will provide you with essential information about the installation process. Once you get your EV charging station installed, the benefits will kick in right away. Convenience and peace of mind are a couple of the top benefits of having your own EV charging station. Of course, it will also help you save time and money as well.
Whether you’re considering a residential or commercial installation, here are 6 important factors to take into account with any EV charging station installation.
1. It’s important to select the right type of charging station for your needs and budget
There are three common types of charging stations that we will discuss below. Each type of car charger comes with its own set of specifications that meet various needs. As you read through these different types of charging stations, consider factors such as your average daily driving distance, number of vehicles to charge, the cost of installing an electric car charger, and other driving-related needs.
You are probably asking yourself, how much does it cost to install an electric car charger? It all depends on what type of charger you choose. Consider the following types of charging options.
Level 1 charging
This is the simplest charging set up. Plug the 120v charging cord that comes with your car right into an outlet in your garage. This charge will give you about 5 miles of range per hour of charge. That’s roughly 60 miles of recharge per night. With no need to add on any kind of extra expensive charging equipment, this is a terrific option for those who do not drive great distances on a daily basis.
Level 2 charging
This type of charging will require some updates to your garage. A 240v circuit and a Level 2 electric vehicle energy supply system are needed. This system can add 12 to 25 miles of range per hour when you charge your vehicle. Level 2 charging is more expensive than Level 1 charging, but it is a great option for those who drive long distances each day.
Direct current fast chargers (DCFCs)
A DCFS is the fastest charging option on the market. In most cases, 80% of the charge is accomplished within 30 to 60 minutes. This setup will require 480v and three-phase power. In other words, this is a very expensive charging type that requires a hefty investment. Because of its massive power draw, DCFSs are most commonly found on highway charging stations.
2. Installing a charging station is a big project, but it can be done with minimal disruption to your daily routine
Below are a few things to consider when it comes to the installation of your EV charging station.
- It is highly recommended that you use a licensed electrician to properly install an electric car charging station. For those in the Las Vegas area, we at Bell Solar & Electrical Services regularly install these stations with our experienced team of licensed electricians.
- It usually takes around two hours for an electrician to install a standard charging station. Times may vary depending on the makeup of the electrical system of your home.
- If your electrical system needs a complete overhaul to meet the standards of your EV charging station, it could take days to complete installation due to parts and equipment needed to be on hand. This is sometimes the case with Level 2 charging station installations.
3. Make sure you have the proper permits and approvals before starting the installation process
Most local jurisdictions require a permit for the installation of an EV charging station. It is important to check with your local government to ensure that you receive the proper permits and inspections required by local law. To learn more about the rules and regulations of EV charging and home installation guidelines in Nevada, check out the Nevada Electric Highway website.
4. There are a few things to consider when choosing an electric vehicle charging station location
They say location is everything in real estate. Well, that philosophy also applies to the location of your EV charging station. Your top consideration is the location of your existing electric. When it comes to installing an electric car charger in your garage, tapping into this established infrastructure is the simplest and most affordable approach to installation.
You may also consider the spot where you park your car in the garage. For many people, there is a specific side of the garage that works best. While this is an important consideration, everything boils down to having access to the electricity on the wall. You may need to compromise on the location of your parking space depending on the feasibility of moving the electric.
5. Be sure to read the owner’s manual thoroughly before using your new charging station
It’s a good idea to read the owner’s manual just as you would with any other major purchase in your life. The owner’s manual will walk you through the basic functionalities of your charging station. It will also help you better identify when it’s not working properly. Although most EV charging stations require very little maintenance, the owner’s manual will provide you with guidance on how to schedule periodic up check-ups to best maintain your charging station for many years to come.
6. If you’re thinking about installing a charging station at home, consult with an electrician for more information
Understanding the ins and outs of the EV charging station installation process will certainly help you make the right decisions along the way. That said, there’s no better person to talk to than an election. Here are a few reminders as to why you should strongly consider hiring an electrician:
- Installing an EV charging station can be dangerous if you don’t know what you are doing. Just like any electric work, you can get seriously injured by shock if you make a mistake.
- Electricians can help you finalize any last-minute changes that might be needed for permits or local inspections.
- An electrician will ensure the car charging station is safely installed to run properly for the long-haul. It’s peace of mind knowing that your system is properly installed.
Put your installation in the hands of the professionals
There’s no question that driving an electric vehicle is a great choice for the environment and your long-term savings. While there is a lot to figure out when it comes to a home installation of your car charging station, it’s not a process you have to go through alone. Reach out to us today for more information on how our staff can help you install your new EV charging station in Nevada.